Sunday 17 July 2011

Relay For Life 2011

On the 16th of July, I went to a national event known as Relay for Life (RFL). On the morning of that particular day was my INPRO (Inter Program Games) badminton competition. I was supposed to reach the Stadium UKM before 2:30 p.m. for RFL. I thought the INPRO badminton matches would end before that, or around that time. So I went for badminton in the morning. I play three single matches, in which I won two and lost one pathetically. I was the person in charge of my program badminton for INPRO 2011, and I felt so bad when we lost our champion away and got the fourth place instead. I felt so tired but I left for RFL at 3 something in the afternoon.

At the KL central KTM station, I saw some epic scenes. People pushing against each other and the KTM was like a sardin can. A woman kept shouting "Sempitlah, macam binatang orang-orang ni!" I could only sit there and do nothing except wondering why Malaysians are like this. After I reached the UKM KTM station, I bought the cheapest Kuih-Muih in my life. 12 pieces of different kuih with 1 buck. Oh yeah =D

Reaching the Stadium, I was kind of stunned by the grandness of the event. I could see people wearing the RFL yellow T-shirts everywhere around the field. There were tents set up along the tracks for the participants to sleep in at night. Events after events followed and the entertainers were all full of enthusiasm.  I was supposed to be a part of the security team. To be exact, I was supposed to be the head of the security team. But I didn't actually do anything security-related for the whole process. All I did was picking up rubbish, playing cards and talking to my bunch of friends. I slept at 4 something looking up at the moon. When I woke up, I was greeted by the sunrise. The sky was so amazingly beautiful. The event ended at 10 with the last lap ran by everyone participating in it, be it participants or volunteers.

At the very beginning...

In the process...

Performance by cancer survivors...

The sunrise that greeted me when I woke up...

I was really exhausted. The event was meaningful and impacting as a whole. I just wish I could be less tired. But if I am to be given a chance a gain, I will definitely go for it again. The event reminds me of the people suffering from cancer and how hard they have or have been fighting the fatal virus. Pray Lord that a cure to cancer can be found soon.

1 comment:

  1. Aiya... I miss UKM. :S
    I have no memory of buying the kuih at the UKM KTM station. LOL

    ReplyDelete